Pragmatic Clinical Trials
“Does the intervention work in real life?”
Designed to evaluate the effectiveness of interventions in real-life routine practice conditions.
- Test interventions in every day clinical settings to maximize generalizability.
- Designed to improve practice and policy.
- Most trials have some elements of both explanatory and pragmatic design.
- May be used to assess for effectiveness once safety & efficacy is established.
- Cost, may require more complex study design.
- Difficult to blind participants and clinicians although assessors can often be blinded.